Quote Originally Posted by dcmerkle View Post
Hi,

I have a neighbor that is now in a wheel chair. She has a beautiful garden of field flowers and rose bushes. Most of her neighbors have been tending the garden for her, but she's feeling left out because she can't do it herself. She says she's missing playing in the dirt. That I can understand.

A few of the neighbors were wondering if there was a way that maybe the beds can be raised up to chair level where she can roll up to the beds and garden away with everyone? Does anyone have any suggestions of books with landscape diagrams? Has anyone seen something like we have in mind?

DCMerkle
Hi, first of all let me just say how wonderful it is for you and your neighbors to do this for her. I have experienced something like this before. We knew of the technical challenges as well as the physical considerations but it took us quite a while to come up with a suitable solution. We did a bit of research online and came across a similar project done by the Christopher Reeve Foundation. I don’t have the link to that page right now as I’m not using my own laptop so I’ll get back to you with it once I get home. But you can also search on Google for it, type in “gardening for people in wheelchairs” and I think the organization’s page is among the top ones. Hope this helps.